The Need is Real
Every minute in America a child is reported abused or neglected. One in ten is born affected by drugs. One in five is sexually abused. Half a million children are reported abused in California each year. Every day in California at least one child dies as a result of abuse or neglect. Worldwide, 53,000 children die annually as a result of homicide and 1 million are forced into prostitution and child pornography. Hearts are broken with each death, hopes are destroyed and the promise of a future is lost forever.
In a Centers for Disease Control sponsored study, Drs. Anda and Felleti discovered a strong correlation between childhood abuse and subsequent adult diseases including diabetes, obesity, depression, hepatitis, alcoholism, heart disease, fractures and suicide. For people who experienced four or more types of adverse childhood experiences, such as child abuse, the likelihood is increased by:
- 1220% that they will attempt suicide
- 1030% that they will be injection drug users
- 740% that they will be alcoholics
- 220% that they will smoke
- 160% that they will be severely obese
Abuse Leads to Addiction*
- A male child who has six types of adverse childhood experiences is 4600% more likely to become an injection drug user
- 78% of drug addiction in women can be attributed to adverse childhood experiences
- “…the major factor underlying addiction is adverse childhood experiences…”
*Source: “The Origins of Addiction: Evidence from The
Adverse Childhood Experiences Study,” Vincent Felitti, MD
Treatment costs 100 times more than prevention – and it is after the harm has occurred. Nationally, a case of child abuse or neglect costs an average of $128,000. Our services cost $1,200 per child to prevent the harm from ever happening. You can become a partner in our work by sponsoring a program area or a specific service. Click here to help.