Safe Sleep Baby
EVERY OTHER WEEK IN SACRAMENTO COUNTY,
A BABY DIES WHILE SLEEPING.
Half of them are African American infants.
Find FREE resources in your community, learn more
about Safe Sleep Workshops, and get FREE cribs.
Call (916) 244-1900
Don’t let your baby suffocate to death. This is a tragedy you can prevent. Follow these rules:
· No sleeping in adult beds, couches, recliners, futons or swings.
· No sleeping with adults and other children.
· No sleeping with pillows, blankets, stuffed animals or other soft objects.
Click for Frequently Asked Questions.
Learn the 6 STEPS to ALWAYS safe sleep your baby.
(Roll over each step for more information)
- Sleep baby ALONE.Put your baby to sleep ALONE in his/her a crib or bassinet. Do not sleep with your baby, and do not let other children sleep with your baby.
- Sleep baby on his/her BACK.Put baby to sleep on his/her BACK for every sleep. Doctors know "Back to Sleep" will NOT increase baby’s risk of choking.
- Sleep baby in a CRIB.Use a CRIB or bassinet to sleep your baby. Firm crib mattresses with fitted sheets are the safest place for your baby to sleep. Do not place baby to sleep in an adult bed, couch, recliner or swing.
- Put nothing in baby’s sleep area.Do not place any objects in your baby’s crib or bassinet, such as pillows, blankets, bumpers, stuffed animals, or other soft objects.
- Do not overdress baby.Do not dress baby too warmly when sleeping. If you are comfortable, baby is comfortable.
- Do not smoke anything around baby. Do not allow anyone to smoke ANYTHING around baby.
Spread the SAFE SLEEP BABY message to your family, friends
and others who care for your baby.
Keep your baby safe while sleeping:
“I had twins …, a boy and a girl. My girl Rae passed away when she was only six weeks old. It can happen to anybody at any time. I didn’t think it was going to happen to me, but it happened.” – Mom
“I just plead with all parents, put the baby in a safe place to sleep just like it’s a law. Make that your law, your statement, what you’re going to do every time the baby goes to sleep.” – Mrs. Nellie, Grandmother of two
“It’s so important to learn that you need to safe sleep your baby alone, on the back, in the crib always.” - DJ Waynee Wayne, 102.5 KSFM Sacramento
“We can reduce the risk of babies dying while sleeping. Cribs are the safest places for babies to sleep. It is not safe for babies to sleep with stuffed animals, pillows, comforters or bumpers in their crib or sleep area.” – Pediatrician and new mom
Funding for the Safe Sleep Baby program is provided by the First 5 Sacramento Commission which uses Proposition 10 (tobacco tax) funds to support the healthy development of children ages zero through five. Additional information about the First 5 Sacramento Commission is online at www.first5sacramento.net or by calling 916-876-5865. #first5sac